Potato and cheese cutlets with dried herbs , salt and pepper are so easy to make and tastes delicious. Crispy on the outside, super soft from inside and they melt in your mouth. You can make them ahead and freeze them too. These are shallow fried in butter and oil and yet they are so light, delicious and flavorful. Best served with ketchup as a snack or stuff it in burger / pita bread.
- 2 Large potatoes boiled and mashed
- 1/3 Cup grated cheese (I used amul processed cheese)
- 1/4 Teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 Teaspoon red chilli flakes
- 1/2 Teaspoon mixed dried herbs ( thyme, oregano, rosemary)
- 1/2 Teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 Tablespoon rice flour
- 2 Tablespoons corn flour / corn starch
- Salt to taste
- 1 Tablespoon salted butter
- 1 Tablespoon vegetable oil
Directions1. Boil potatoes in a large pot with plenty of water and a big pinch of salt. Boil until they are soft and you should be able to mash them to smooth paste. I pressure cooked them on low flame for 5 whistles.
2. In a large mixing bowl, add mashed potatoes, cheese, dried herbs, rice flour, corn flour, salt and pepper and using a spoon gently mix everything together
3. Wet your hands with little water and make cutlets out of this potato mixture and set aside. At this stage, you can freeze them for later use
To freeze : You need parchment paper. Spread parchment paper. Sprinkle some rice flour or corn starch. Then place 4 cutlets on the parchment paper and sprinkle more corn starch over the top of the cutlets. Seal the parchment paper and wrap it with foil and freeze. You can warp them individually too. Do not place them directly on aluminium foil as they tend to stick to the foil when you thaw them.
4. In a large skillet / frying pan heat butter and oil. When the butter melts, keep the flame to medium and place 2 or 3 cutlets in the pan. Do not overcrowd the pan with more cutlets. I placed more cutlets and they tend to stick to each other. I would recommend using a bigger pan and leave space between them.
5. Shallow fry them until they are crispy and golden
6. Flip sides and fry on the other side too
7. Remove from the pan and drain them on paper towel
8. Serve hot with ketchup or your favourite dip