Here is one more hearty grilled cheese sandwich with caramelized onions and spinach. Sweetness from the caramelized onions pairs perfectly with spinach and cheese. Garlic and red chilli flakes gives perfect seasoning to the sandwich.
This sandwich filling is easy to make and takes less than 10 minutes. Quick and hearty breakfast for a busy mornings / for after school snack.
Yield : 2 Servings
- 4 white sandwich bread slices
- 1 and 1/2 Tablespoon salted butter
- 1 Teaspoon EVOO
- 1 Garlic clove crushed and chopped finely
- 1 Large red onion sliced thinly
- 1 Teaspoon granulated white sugar
- 1/2 cup packed fresh spinach chopped roughly
- 1/4 Teaspoon red chilli flakes
- 1/4 Teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 Cheese slices ( I used amul cheese)
Directions1. In a pan, heat EVOO. When the oil is hot, add chopped garlic and sauté until garlic is light golden
2. Add sliced onion and sprinkle 1 teaspoon sugar and fry for 10 to 15 minutes on medium flame until onions are caramelized and nice golden
3. Move the onions to the side of the pan and add spinach to the pan and sauté quickly for 2 minutes until they are just cooked through
4. Season with salt and set aside
5. Apply butter on both sides of the bread slices
6. Top a bread slice with spinach onion mixture
7. Top the mixture with a cheese slice
8. Close the sandwich with the second bread slice ( buttered both sides)
9. Place the sandwich on a hot grill / sandwich maker and Grill the sandwiches until they are crispy and golden.
10. Serve hot