Uttapam is a South Indian breakfast pancake made of rice& lentil fermented batter/ Dosa batter. It resembles dosa, but it is quite thicker than the regular dosa and is topped with tomatoes, onion, chillies, capsicum or mixed vegetables. Served with coconut chutney and sambar.
Onion Uttapam has finely chopped sambar onions, green chillies, ginger and idly gun powder as topping. Crispy caramelized sweet onions with spicy idly gun powder makes these uttapam so delicious. A must try ...
- Dosa Batter as required
- 1/2 Cup finely chopped Sambar onions or shallots
- 1/2 Green Chilli finely chopped
- 1/2 Teaspoon ginger chopped very fine
- 2 Tablespoons chopped cilantro leaves
- 2 Tablespoons idly gunpowder / Idly milagai podi
1. Heat tawa for making dosa. The tawa should be very hot as you pour the idly batter
2. Pour one ladle of dosa batter in the hot tawa. Uttapams are thicker than regular dosas. Hence don't spread the batter as you do it for regular dosa. Just pour the batter and leave it, it will spread little bit on it own and will be thicker and dense
3. Now reduce the heat to 'low' and spray oil on the dosa. Top the dosa with sambar onions, green chillies, ginger and cilantro leaves. Gently press them in the dosa batter so that they wont fall apart when you flip your dosa
4. Top it with idly milagi podi / gun powder. Spray little bit more oil over the onions. This will help caramelize them when we flip upside down
5. Once the bottom of the uttapam is nice golden, carefully flip the dosa and cook until it is crispy and golden
6. Serve hot with coconut chutney