For the love of Bombay's street food ! One of the fondest memories I had as a child was eating vada pav, rainbow gola, pani puri , lassi and the list goes on. Jamun Kala Khatta is a popular syrup flavor for ice golas, esp in chowpatty.
Kala khatta is a tangy, sweet sherbet / syrup made with Jamun / Indian black plum. It can be either poured over crushed ice on stick ( gola ) or served as a drink.
Yield : 2 Servings
- 15 Jamun / Indian plum
- 2 Tablespoons of granulated white sugar
- Juice of half lemon
- 1/4 Teaspoon Kala Namak / black salt
- 1/4 Teaspoon roasted cumin powder
- 1/4 Teaspoon black pepper powder
- Ice cubes to serve
Directions1.Wash/ rinse Jamun under running tap water
2. In a small sauce pan, add jamun, sugar along with just enough water to immerse the jamuns. Bring it to rolling boil and simmer for 5 minutes until jamuns are soft
3. Let them cool completely
4. Using the back of a spoon gently mash the boiled jamuns and remove the seeds. Discard seeds
5. In a blender , add jamuns along with the syurp and blend it until it is smooth
6. You can either strain this jamun juice through a sieve or serve it as such. I like it thick without straining.
7. Now add lemon juice, kala namak, cumin powder, pepper powder and give it a nice stir
8. Pour the kala khatta juice in serving glasses and serve once