Cauliflower and green peas are my kid's favourite veggies. This side is so easy to make and my kids just love it. It is mildly spiced , cauliflower is crispy and crunchy and green peas add little bit of sweetness to the dish. I added paneer also to the side since Ryan wanted a paneer dish for his lunch box. You can skip adding paneer.
- 2 Cups Cauliflower Florets
- 1/4 Cup Fresh Green Peas ( thaw if frozen )
- 10 to 15 Paneer cubes
- 1 Tablespoon vegetable Oil / Olive Oil
- 1/2 Teaspoon Mustard seeds
- 1/2 Teaspoon Urad Dal
- 1/2 Teaspoon Cumin Seeds
- 1/4 Teaspoon Fennel Seeds
- 1/4 Teaspoon Italian Seasoning / dried mixed herbs
- 5 fresh mint leaves
- 1 Teaspoon Red Chilli Powder ( you can use ground pepper if you do not have red chilli powder)
- 1/4 Teaspoon Turmeric Powder
- 1 Large onion sliced
- Salt as required
- Chopped cilantro leaves for garnish
Preparation :1. In a large pot bring plenty of water to boil. Season with salt. When the water start boiling, add a pinch of turmeric powder to the water and then add the cauliflower florets and green peas. Blanch them for 2 to 3 minutes until they are just cooked. Do not overcook cauliflower. Drain them and transfer the veggies to a bowl. Set aside
Alternatively, you can blanch cauliflower and green peas in microwave. Add the florets and green peas in a microwave safe bowl, add 1/4 cup water , season with salt. Microwave on high for 2 minutes. Drain water and transfer the veggies to a bowl. Set aside
Directions1. In a pan heat oil on medium flame. When the oil is hot , add mustard seeds. When they pop, add urad dal. Wait for the dal to turn golden. Then add cumin seeds , fennel seeds and sauté for few seconds. Then add Italian seasoning and fry for few seconds
2. Add sliced onion and salt. When the onion is soft, add chilli powder.
Give it a good stir.
3. Now add previously blanched cauliflower and green peas and mix everything together. Add 1/4 water and let the veggies get cooked. Keep the flame high.
4. Once all water is evaporated, reduce the flame to lowest setting and let the cauliflower get roasted for 5 mins.
5. Finally add paneer cubes and mix
6. Switch off flame and garnish with chopped mint leaves and cilantro leaves. Serve hot as a side to steamed rice